Pages

09 July 2012

"I am very shy!"

During our week in Namaqualand (see previous post) I happened to come accross an Aardvark Orycteropus afer walking around in the broad daylight.  OK - it was 17:50 and very close to nightfall when we surprised each other along the road.  I was riding briskly along on my motorbike to collect a camtrap set out on another part of the farm and actually my camera had already been stowed away in my backpack.  I had my gloves on and my head was covered in a warm beanie as the temperature was dropping quickly.  

When the animal observed me it scurried away - so I had to stop the bike, pull off the gloves with my teeth and roll the backpack from my back, get the camera out and in the run towards the fence fit the longer lens and then aim and shoot ... all in less time it would take Bolt to complete the 100m.  Nevertheless I got some decent shots of the ears and the backside of the scurrying animal.

Ears and @rse

No comments:

Post a Comment